Meet our Pilates Instructors
Private Pilates Instruction is perfect for those serious about improving their Pilates form and technique. Private instruction can be tailored for those new to Pilates as well as veterans to "The Method." Learning how to effectively perform Pilates exercises has numerous benefits. Developing core strength, building long muscles and flexible joints, training efficient patterns of motion and improving the mind-body connection are just a few of the ways one can benefit from this unique and challenging workout. Pilates is also ideal for those recovering from injuries and is often used as a complement or a substitute for rehabilitation procedures.
We offer private Pilates instruction for personal, one-on-one attention and instruction.
- Valerie Smith – Valerie Smith - Pilates Instructor
- Education: Valerie is certified as a Pilates Trainer and Instructorthru both the Physical Mind Institute and Integrated Teacher Training (ITT) of the Bay Area.
- Experience: Valerie has been teaching classes in fitness, dance, gymnastics and Tai Chi Chih since 1980.She began studying and teaching Pilates in 2001. Her background in Sports Psychology coupled with the mind/body approach in Tai Chi, and ongoing work at a Physical Therapy clinic in rehabilitative approaches to Pilates make her uniquely qualified to lead classes and advise clients.
Valerie is passionate about the effectiveness of Pilates as an approach to strength and wellness. Hergoal in offering classes is to offer a flowing, appropriate and progressively challenging workout based on the clients' needs and current level.
Valerie currently offers classes on Tuesday evening and Saturday morning.
- Valerie is our Pilates Program Coordinator. Contact:
- Jessica McKee – Pilates Instructor
- Education: A movement enthusiast, Jessica graduated Cum Laude in 2007 with a BA in Dance from the College of Creative Arts at San Francisco State University, where she was awarded for achievements in Choreography and Performance. In 2008 and 2009, she received both her Pilates Mat and Apparatus certifications through Integrated Teacher Training (ITT).
- Experience: Jessica was first introduced to Pilates through practicing aerial arts in 2003, and has been a certified instructor since 2008. She has also taught dance and choreography since 1997.
- Philosophy: Jessica is an encouraging and supportive instructor who enjoys sharing her love of movement with others and has experience instructing teens, adults, and children.She believes that conscious movement enhances the experience of life, and she is continually impressed with the effectiveness that Pilates has on improving alignment, balance, and ease of movement. Jessica currently offers classes on Thursday evenings.
- Evangeline Fitzpatrick – Pilates Instructor
- Education: Evangeline was initially certified and trained in both Pilates Mat and Reformer apparatus with Integrated Teacher Training (ITT) in San Francisco. In 2009 she received additional training and certification through Stott Pilates, with an increased focus on Reformer repertoire and applications.
- Experience: Evangeline began teaching Pilates in 2007.
- Philosophy: Evangeline loves practicing and teaching Pilates for the strength, agility, and balance it gives
to her and her clients. She has seen students progress from not exercising at all, to loving, requesting, and needing the conditioning that Pilates offers.
Evangeline currently offers classes at Mariner on Thursday evening, Friday morning, and leads the monthly Pilates Foundations class on the 2nd Saturday of each month.
- Cathyn Fan – Pilates Instructor
- Education: Cathyn is certified as a Pilates Instructor through the YMCA of the USA and has completed STOTT PILATES training in Mat, Cadillac, Chair, and Barrels.
- Experience: Cathyn has been teaching classes in yoga, fitness, aqua, and Pilates since 2006. She combines her background in Public Health and personal training to offer challenging and informative classes.
- Philosophy: Cathyn believes in cross training, especially with Pilates, to balance and strengthen the body and mind effectively and is dedicated to helping clients discover their inner wisdom through functional movement.
Cathyn currently offers classes on Monday mornings.
- Stephan Richardson – Personal Trainer
- Education:American Council of Exercise (ACE) and National Academy of Sports Medicine (NASM) personal trainer certifications. Pilates matwork certified. BA, philosophy, UMass Boston.
- Experience: Personal trainer since 2002, with over 30 years of training in martial arts, modern dance and yoga .
- Philosophy: I favor a rounded, multi-disciplinary approach to training focusing on posture and alignment, good form and technique, and a strong active core. My goal is to educate people to a better understanding of their body. I bring an educated eye and an understanding of the process we all go through as we reach for a healthier lifestyle. I’ve been described as “gentle…but tough”. Two severe injuries in my youth put me on the path to fitness and I’ve stayed on it. I started with shaolin kungfu and yoga in the early 70’s, then 25 years of modern dance, and now continuing with tai chi and Pilates in the new millennium.